Sunday, January 24, 2010

A little of this, a little of that

I had a very productive weekend, but for some reason, I have nothing to show for it.  I:

  • re-hemmed my pinstriped wool pants, which had shrunken in the wash (and THAT is why I always leave a generous hem allowance at the legs)
  • did some tidying up
  • did some cooking (potato leek soup - yum)
  • went out for brunch with some friends
  • finished my red mittens
  • helped my mom learn how to use SketchUp, remotely over the internet
  • looked after a friend's dog
  • bought a new interior design book and the latest Dwell mag
  • went grocery shopping (Hey, do you guys have "Bulk Barn" in the States?)
  • observed guiltily as my husband did all the dishes, laundry, and dusting (but not guiltily enough to actually pitch in...I've got a conscience, but I'm not stupid)
  • helped my husband vacuum (am I the only one who second-guesses the spelling of that word every time?)
  • cleaned the bathroom (yuck...I deserve a medal)
I intended to finish up my trouser tutorial, but I just had too many other little things to clear off my plate.  So, it'll be another week at least.  In the meantime, here are the aforementioned mittens and some pics from a walk we took this afternoon (after that ridiculously good brunch).  It was bloody windy (read: freez-z-z-z-z-z-zing c-c-c-c-cooooold), but the sky was really interesting and I couldn't pass up the chance.

And yes, I was wearing the mittens while taking the photos.  I may have been in "the hind end of nowhere", but I still had to look good, no?






I just *had* to make the tips pointy - I'm not sure why, it just had to be done.  I've been asked to put together a how-to for a standard pair of mittens, so I've added it to my list (see the sidebar).   I have to make a pair for Hubbie (my dog ate the last ones....oops), so I'll use that as an opportunity to document my process.

Have a great week!

6 comments:

  1. Sounds like an amazing time, and your mitts are beautiful! I can't get over how amazing the landscape is where you live, it just knocks me over.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice pics sis! It looks completely different during the winter - not at all like I remember it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Is it wrong that I rushed to the mittens pictures first and only then went back to look at the others? They are all beautiful, btw!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Muchas gracias, mi amigas! (you see that, I'm TRI-lingual, now!)

    Kyla: you so sweet. You're just trying to butter me up by flattering my province. I'm easy mark!

    Trish: that's because when you came it was dark and cold and wet. Very very very wet. Now it's dark and cold and dry. Big difference!

    Carey: why do you think I put the mitten pics at the end? I knew I had to do something to make you read the rest (like at the grocery store when they put the essentials at the very back - bet ya can't resist those potato chips along the way!)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Gee, thanks, now I want potato chips! (yes, the power of suggestion is strong with me!) And I remember the cold and wet - I will be packing very differently for my next visit!

    ReplyDelete