Thursday, July 1, 2010

Happy Canada Day!

Happy 143rd birthday, Canada!

In the words of Ron MacLean, I am eternally grateful to be a part of what makes you great.  Your willingness to embrace the world's downtrodden and make them feel a part of your family.  Your belief that it is the duty of the strong to protect the weak.  Your unshakable need to provide for those less fortunate.  Your belief that as great as the individual may be, we gain more as a collective.

You're not an overly-proud nation.  You tend to be self-deprecating and unassuming.  You've had many successes and many failures.  You are young and have much to learn.  But, you are great and if you work on rectifying some of the inequities present in your society and maintain the values you were founded on, you face a magnificent future.  One in which the world continues to look to you as an example of what a nation should be. 


For all your landscapes, your accents, your colours, your histories, your languages and your beliefs; I love you dearly.  My Canadian citizenship is my most prized possession.  I shall never give it up.

Thank you for making me who I am.

dw

PS: The Harlot has a great Canada  Day's list every year.  Go and check it out!  If she had been my high school history teacher, I might have enjoyed the course.  And I might have remembered some of it.

2 comments:

  1. Can I just say... I love Canada.

    I was stranded there over September 11th and I think I would have stayed forever if I could have. I have never met so many open-hearted, kind and wonderful people in my life.

    I keep trying to convince my husband that we should move there. But alas, he's from the South and thinks all of Cananda is the frozen tundra.

    How do I convince him?

    ReplyDelete
  2. "One thing I know about the rest of my life: I KNOW THAT I'LL BE LIVING IT IN CANADA!!" (Best line in that song!)

    ReplyDelete