Tuesday, January 10, 2012

R.I.P. Slouchster

At work, I sit in front of a computer most of the day (I draft and design and draw and type).  I worship the "undo" icon.  Control-Z is my favourite shortcut.  If it wasn't there, I'd have pulled all my hair out by now.

Problem is, the habit of using Ctl-Z can lull you into a sense of complacency.  Like, it doesn't really matter if I screw up - I can just punch a couple of keys/click on a little swoopy arrow and everything is okie dokie.

And that false sense of security can start to mess with your head.

I present Exhibit A:


My favourite hat ever knitted on this planet in all the world for the history of mankind ever invented.

I love this hat.  The yarn is beautiful and soft and smooth and the colour is perfect (an exquisite charcoal grey with little flecks of heather).  Most importantly, this yarn was given to me by Wood, when we swapped yarn a couple of Christmases ago.  This hat is my security blanket.  My binkie, if you will.  I sleep in it, sometimes.

Except. 

I, in my infinite wisdom, put this hat (which is 100% NON SUPERWASH wool) through the washing machine's regular cycle - not once BUT TWICE - and THEN.  AND THEN.  I put it through the dryer. 

That's right.  I can't just screw something up a little bit.  I have to go all out.

And the one thing I thought when I pulled all the clothes out of the dryer and found that hat sitting in the bottom of the drum, looking all puny and miniaturized and forlorn was:

CONTROL-ZED!!!!!!!  UNDO, DAMMIT, UNDO!!!!!!!!

2 comments: